You may be aware that LinkedIn has members in 200 countries and supports up to 24 languages on its platform.
No, it does not translate your primary profile into 23 other languages.
But if you are fluent in another language, you could set up your profile in that language.
Secondary LinkedIn Profiles
Why would you want to do that? Most people use English for business, don’t they?
There are definite benefits of using secondary languages. English while widely used is not the native language for many.
Why set up your secondary profile in another language?
- To reach and connect with those who are more comfortable using your secondary language.
- Understanding is quicker and they know you have an appreciation of their culture; subtleties of nuances are not lost.
- There’s an invisible bond that binds you to the person.
- It will also help you stand out from the rest of the 360 some million profiles in English; a definite advantage.
- It can open up international business opportunities
- It shows you are adaptable and have cultural experiences that will be useful and
- Good old SEO reasons as each secondary profile will have its own URL
Language is a powerful communication tool.
That’s perhaps why performers like to pick some local songs and sing them in the local language. It shows you are are open to adapt and to enter their world. To see things from their point of view.
Even if you don’t set up your secondary LinkedIn profile, you can view others’ profile in your preferred language.
And if you are interested to set up your secondary LinkedIn profile, this video will walk you through the process. It will also show you how you can view other’s profile in a secondary language.
If you prefer to take in information visually, the infograph below will be helpful. This infograph is designed and created using Vennage and it highlights the main points for a quick summary.
I would encourage you to check out the original post as there’s a much more in-depth discussion that considered the why, what and how of the secondary LinkedIn profile.
Click on the image to see the larger version. And if you would like to embed this on your site, just copy the codes from below.
You Can Share This Image On Your Site
Do include attribution to www.LouisaChan.com with this graphic.
Now you can go create your secondary profile (if that is appropriate).